Sunday, February 28, 2010

Speranza per la vita attraverso la morte

Hope for life through death...



I was one of the last people to have met Sr. Speranza before she went home to Jesus on Friday (2/26/10), something she had been waiting for her whole life. Having been missioned with Cabrini Misison Corps part time at Cabrini Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, I got to know and love her in a way that I never dreamed possible. When I heard that Speranza and Adelina had been transported to CCNR over the weekend of Martin Luther King, I made a point to go up and meet them. They became my escape, a quick little get away when I needed a break. Speranza and I joked for weeks about how we had come to love each other so quickly. In that short time we had, I was not surprised by how rapidly we developed a connection with one another. Instead, the depth at which she was able to touch my heart surprised me.

In many ways, Speranza has been an incredible blessing. I only hope that my presence meant even a fraction of that to her. When I needed it most, she was my first soundboard after speaking to Sr. Pietrina about discerning religious life. One day when I thought I was not going to see her again, I asked, “Speranza, if you could tell me one thing, what would it be?” At that point she had become very lethargic and did not want to answer. “Speranza! I am 23. If I live as long as you, I have 70 years to go; do you have any advice for me?” “Be a nun,” she replied. “That’s not fair, you’re biased.” We laughed…it was cute, but not really funny. That was her truth.

Eighty years in religious life, and she maximized her contribution here on this earth. She was, and remains, in love with Jesus, and all she wanted was to finally see Him face-to-face. This was evident in the way that lived her life. I do not know what the future has in store for me, but I know that I will be counting on Sr. Speranza D'Ambrosi to be my ‘speranza’ and walk this walk with me until I get to see her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment