Monday, September 21, 2009

From Milwaukee to the City of Sisterly Love

When I left Milwaukee on August 12th, I was a little uncertain of what was ahead. With the date rapidly approaching I was finding myself mentally prepared to begin the journey, but were my bags packed? Of course not! Party plans, last minute luncheons, trips to the store, and 3 salsa nights later, I was in a panic. Days to go, room a mess…this is not unusual, is it?

The point was supposed to be that before I left, I was going to ‘move out.’ I wanted to all that I brought a long to be all that I had…that was not the case. At least not this time around. I just ran out of time! Complications with computers, sad last minute chats with the fam, getting rid of belongings, finding the last words, leaving notes of things to be finished. I had a party to say my last good-byes. I felt like I was dying! (Mk 8:34-35).

Tired and out of energy, I did, what has become too customary, I left my family. I left my dad, my mom, Steve, Sarah, and Becky (dear, you're last because you are the youngest, not the least important). I left a faith community of people, who for the last 23 years of my life have been a part of my family (Mt 19:29). I was ready, but it was hard to convince myself at that moment that I truly was.

After my last Philly experience, I learned that a direct flight was the best way to get to Philly on time…but that also meant that I was going directly from my family to something I felt for months was what God was asking for...asking me to be a part of.

As I sat on the plane, I was reading about Mother Cabrini, a woman on a mission. She didn’t stop at anything. The world to her was so small. Her faith in God is overwhelming, and so comforting. She was guided by the Spirit from Italy “not to the East (China), but to the West (NY).” So, too, God was calling me, not to the South (anywhere that speaks Spanish), but to the East (NY). Okay, I guess. If she did it, I can too! Right?

Hours later, my roller coaster of stressed, not stressed, stressed, not stressed, ended. I landed in Philly and called for my ride. Gina had told me that Sr. Grace, Michelle, and Crystal were to form my welcome committee. This was great, right? My only apprehension was that Crystal and Michelle had been in Philly for two and a half weeks already. Would I assume my position as the third wheel? Receiving texts from two unknown numbers, I was informed that the brigade was on their way. I sat awaiting technology to tell me that they had pulled up. I was in the middle of sending a message to let the girls know what I was wearing. Before I could send it, two Asian girls attacked me. That’s a little strong. I was embraced by two Asian girls, more familiarly known as Crystal and Michelle.

My fellow missioners embraced me. I took a deep breath. “This is going to be alright.” Sr. Grace Waters, the driver! I hadn’t seen Grace since I went to visit her in Chicago after my interview in Philly. It was so wonderful to see her again! The welcome was dually a comfort and a blessing.

We arrived at the Senior Residence, the site for our few days of Cabrini time. I had spent only a couple days there when I came for my interview, and I could not wait to be reunited with the sisters again! Everyone helped me bring in my bags, and I settled into the residence once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment