Sunday, January 24, 2010

Whooah, We're Half Way There....

maybe not livin' on a prayer, but living on prayer, itself, rather. This weekend marked the halfway point for the 10 months of mission in New York. It has been and continues to be an experience that is constantly offering and inviting more as it progresses.

Yesterday a previous Swaziland, Africa missioner came into NY to stay with us. The sisters asked me,

"Did you meet Heather yet?"
"Well, no, not yet." (Don't they know that I'm awkward and don't naturally thrive in new social situations?!)
"You should go up."

Um, without a social buffer? Where is MIchelle?! Crys?!

Whatever; I went up :) SO GLAD I DID! She is WONDERFUL! Right away, she invited me in and our conversation began, lasting from about 5:30 until after 10! Some of the first questions that she asked me were "So, what are you doing?" "How do you like the year so far?" Among many other questions, the way that our conversation continued was a perfect example of how life is and God works. She immediately allowed our conversation to go to a place where it was real(I LOVE THAT), so that when she leaves, I can say, "Wow. Thank God (literally) that we met!"

At dinner at the diner, Lyric, with Michelle, she asked, "So are your conversations always this deep?" Well, no, but usually....yes. This is a good thing, I think! I realized that being as close as we are, and how orientation just allowed our relationship to be, we by nature take ALWAYS advantage of being deep when the opportunity presents itself. It doesn't happen often that you meet people and you can just plunge into the depths with from the surface. ...That's what we do ;) That being said, her visit has been (all of a day so far) INCREDIBLE because she just entered right into that with us, sharing in stories and experiences!! In addition, she is HILARIOUS, and we all know how valued joy humor and laughter are in our relationships!

I have tried to describe, in words, this amazing feeling of being blessed by yet another person in my time with Cabrini. This year, by nature of the program has allowed me to be as 'deep' as I want, BUT more importantly as deep as I need to be. That is what I needed this year. When I moved home for the year in 2008 to pay off my loans, I eased in, and by the time I was comfortable, it was time to leave. My time in NY has been exactly the opposite. This time has invited my experiences of grace/blessing and revelations of who I am ( or have been created to be) so abundant that in 5 months I feel as though I have had years of growth and meaning. Thank you!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment