Thursday, April 22, 2010

Milwaukee: A tour through God's Eyes!

I was able to go home for Easter this year. It was by far one of my best experiences of returning home. I had never been more excited for coming home! :) I went back for Holy Week, including Holy Thursday which is my FAVORITE day in the Church year, as it calls us to loving service. That service for me is always one of the most powerful. I would imagine that it is because it God's way of reminding me every year about the responsibility that I have, one to serve others, but a responsibility to be open to HOW and WHERE and WHY He is calling me!

The other experiences for Holy Week were just as powerful (the Stations of the Cross put on by the teenagers, and the passion and veneration that the adults did). One of my friends from my adolescent years was Confirmed at the Easter Vigil on Saturday, and Easter Sunday was beautiful as well!

It addition to a weekend full of liturgy, both preparation for, and the celebration of, the Resurrection, was the experience of relationship. Having become embarrassingly aware of how judgmental I am :( I wanted my experience to be one of openness, understanding, and love. Simply put, I wanted to work to see people through "God's eyes," not my own. For me most part, I would say that happened.

On Thursday I was able to spend time with Julie, who was in town for Easter. In the evening, Jess picked me up to spend a little time with the Konops, who have been my second family for years! Friday I spent the afternoon with my sisters and mother. Friday night I was able to spend time with Andrea, I always love our time for conversation :) Saturday a few of my brothers came over. I ran some errands and after the Easter Vigil went SALSA DANCING (the form of recreation I miss the most here! Its just so different going out in the city!) with Julie!! One Sunday after church, I took a nap ;) my brother that didn't come on Saturday came over, and then I drove down to IL to visit the Wuensch family! Over Christmas I made it down to see Scott, but this time I was able to see the whole family! :) I stayed overnight, and on my way back to WI I stopped in DesPlaines at the Retreat Center to spend time with one of our sisters, which was very enjoyable and fruitful! :) Monday was my last night with my family (Mom, sisters) as they were leaving for MI. We had a good time playing cards, and Steve was with us for a while too, which I LOVED :) Tuesday I had lunch with my dad, and packed to head back to NY!

All of these experiences with families of faith and biology, friends, etc. reminded me in just a few short days, how beautiful my life really has been. I was able, again for the most part, to just be open. I wish that it wasn't so hard for me, but I am not perfect, and I do have things to work on! Spending time at home with my siblings (older brothers, too!), I was able to just appreciate that we all come together in community, to share in fellowship. We are not all perfect, but we're part of a family. There is a lot of beauty and grace in that. I left home with a big sense of peace and gratitude for all that "home" is, and with excitement and energy around continuing to strengthen and cultivate all of those relationships in anyway that I can, expecially within my immediate family! :)

He is risen again! His death and resurrection can be traced in my life in such a way that is truly relieving to know that good will always triumph. At least we can rely on that! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment