Thursday, April 29, 2010

Wednesday is the Longest, BUT...

Depending on the Wednesday, I can start as early as 9 or 10, and because of my ESL class at night, I can stay as late as 9 or 10. This past Wednesday was an example of a long day, but more importantly, and example of a full and blessed Wednesday!

I was on my way walking from the train to Immigrant Services, where I was greeted by one of the sweetest men that is generally around the area during the day. He waved to me from across the street, and when I went over, he wished me (and I wished him) the best for the day, but not only that, the best for the rest of my life. He wished for me that I pursue whatever it is that makes me happy, and that I not be brought down by anything. What a great blessing at 8am (went in a little early)!

MEXICAN CONSULATE
From the office, I went to the Mexican Consulate to meet a client of mine. It was the second time that week that I went to spend time waiting there. I continue not to be surprised by what people need to go through, rather to be impressed by their resilience! I spent about 4 hours in the Mexican Consulate, and another hour in a different Mexican office with my client, and though it presented a lot of work to be done, and not a ton of help, we both left optimistic about this process! I wish I could be more specific, but the more general point is that everything really is 'un gran tramite' ...huge process.

While we were sitting in the office waiting to see an employee, a guy walked into the Consulate and said to the, seemingly African American, security officer. "I may be the only non-Mexican person in here!" I looked at him, wanting to say..."Could generalize anymore?" ...Besided the fact that it IS the MEXICAN consulate, I count among one of probably other people that were NOT Mexican...This comment, though innocent, was another reminder to me, how diverse we all really are. If I, a person of Chinese and Polish decent, not only was seen as Mexican, but was treated like a Mexican woman, then how important is it that we not look at people and type them as a certain race (and worse, act on that!)

LUNCH
After the consulate and other Mexican office, I made it to the senior sister's residence in time to have my weekly lunch with them. While I was there, two important things happened.

FIrst, I talked to the Dr. about my incident last weekend. He said that he's not too concerned about me....young women are the most likely to faint. Their BPs are naturally lower than most people's, so any drop, makes a young woman likely to faint...so that's what I did! Aware that I am going to be out of the county for Jul/Aug, he only recommended that I be checked out before I go. Also, I'm not going to drink wine anymore(even a half of glass did me in)!

Second, I talked to one of the senior sisters, who, until recently, had some negative sentiment attached to me. Her comments, were always like "Oh, her again!" "She's so..." fill in the blank! It was always somewhat sarcastic, but I couldn't understand where that came from, because we never really talked! I do know that she's dealing with dementia, so I just let it go...BUT this week, it changed! I saw her twice this week. The first time she looked me right in the eye, and said, "Do you remember what I told you? You ARE a missionary. Before you didn't think so, but you ARE." We've never had that conversation, but even the fact that it happened in that way was such a beautiful thing. I LOVED that interaction! The second time I talked to her, she said, "In the end, nothing matters accept that you're honest. That's what I am. I saw right through you, didn't I? You were made for us. Some come and then they change their mind and decide that they don't like it anymore, but not you." WOW. That's pretty awesome! The other miracle is that though she struggles for the names of sisters that she's lived with for years, somehow she remembers mine, and I never even told her what it was!

On my way back to the office I ran into another one of my guys that hangs out around the train, and he said to me, "Mama, you missed it, I almost died." What happened. "My angels came, mama, you know about them, I've already told you." This is true and so wonderful. I don't know much of what his story is, but if he believes in angels, and that they save him, then that's pretty awesome too!

ESL
In the evening, I had my ESL class, and my students are not only intelligent and hardworking, but incredibly thoughtful. They all brought food to class to celebrate my birthday! One student dropped off a beautiful cake from China town with my name on it and everything! Others brought food, such as chips, candy, and the most delicious dumplings!....so they know me lol. We had a great time and good conversation before getting into more formal work with conditional, but I continue to be blessed by their presence (energy, positivity, hardwork, kindness, generosity, etc.) every week!

AFTER CLASS
One of my students stayed behind. She asked me if we helped people to find work, or had any job postings we know about. What she really needed was to tell me about a problem that she's having with her family that she works for. She is an in-home nanny. Typically these types of nannies make $10/hr. Other's that travel to work and live outside get paid more, like $12-14/hr. She only get's paid $6.50. In addition, she works one full weekend per month for no extra money! My first thought was that she was being taken advantage of because she is an immigrant....which is true. But she told me that she's been a citizen for years! This is not okay! Nobody, especially someone that is citizen of this country, should be getting paid less than minimum wage, and working a weekend per month for free. Especially in Manhattan! She said to me, "They have the money, she just doesn't want to. My sister had tried to call, but she doesn't understand and just says, 'It's okay.'" It's NOT okay! So, she asked me to help her. I said that I wanted to try to help her with the family, as she's not confident in her English in that env, and then if they will not pay her what she deserves, then to help her find other work. She is one of the most caring women that I have ever met and her last family LOVED having her, but the mom decided to stay home and they had to let her go. That mom has even tried to contact her current employer, and...NOTHING. :( We'll get this sorted out! When she talked to me, the restrictions, lack of pay, etc left me sensing the way that people are still enslaved by power here ...we have to get this sorted out!

WAY HOME
I was walking by one of the guard booths near my house and two men were standing outside of it. As I was just passed them, one said, "How have you been." I started to answer because I thought he was talking to me, and then I realized that he had to be talking to the next person. "Oh, sorry." "Why are you sorry, of course I am talking to you" How have you been?...that implies generally having met a person before, but this man was new lol He was very funny. He was born in Panama, and has been in the US for about 40 years, but likes WI teams (Packers, Bucks, Badgers, Brewers, etc.)!! Towards the end of our conversation, he first told me to keep smiling, and then said. "But, whatever you do, always go to God. Not only when you need it, or when you need something, but ALWAYS." He said, "What does a man do when he's thirsty?" I said, "He gets something to drink. But he goes grocery shopping even before he knows that he'll need it!" "YES! Have a good night. And don't forget, we were meant to meet! Everything happens for a reason." I am becoming more and more sure of that fact everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment