Monday, October 26, 2009

Washington, October 13




Today for the first time I was faced with the realities of the immigration issues in the US. As Cabrini staff, and 8 clients, we went to Washington DC to rally for Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Is there a need for change? YES!

BUT surprised by:
“Hondurenos unidos….”
Mexican flag
Si se puede
Obama, escucha, estamos en la lucha
No somos uno, no somos diez, somos millones escuchenos bien.

Today at the rally for reform, about 3,000 people were in attendance from 26 different states. People came from all areas, ethnicities, statuses. I was very intrigued as I learned more about the fight for comprehensive reform, and the initiative of Luis Gutierrez (IL) supported by Nitia Velasquez (NY). I was confused to hear as people listened intently and we were told that what we as people need to do is to unite for immigration reform. I get that. But I struggle with that understanding when the rally was mostly in Spanish…what about everyone else? Maybe we should be protesting in English? The country’s language is English, and if people want to be heard, they should at least learn their chants in English. It doesn’t do any good to tell someone to 'escucha' if they don’t entender what a person is saying, right? ...that is 'listen' for all of you non-Spanish speakers. I understand the principle, but the reality is that there are many immigrants of different origins…

I struggle internally with questions about undocumented people. I do think that something needs to be done to deal with all of the 12 million people that are here, but what do we do after? We can’t just let everyone in to gain papers within 5 years. All of the people that are on the path legal residency are people that were either allowed to come here, or were experiencing hardship… How much do we owe to people that didn’t follow the rules to get here? Every country has a process to enter. We go through the process in other countries, but what right does a person have that just wanted to come? This is a legal issue, not one of value, as many of our clients already have a special place in my heart.

I have argued, as have many, the idea that this country was made of immigrants from numerous countries around the world, BUT if we consider the times, the land was mostly unpopulated and undeveloped. We are no longer in that time. I hear the plea for a better life…BUT if this life truly is ‘better,' realistically, everyone will NOT fit here. What do we do? As I sat listening, I was thinking about the idea that if we actually helped to improve the conditions of other countries, then maybe people would be content where they are? Who knows….

After we marched to the Capitol, we were engaged by many testimonies as well as elected officials. In the beginning we could not here very well, more that 50 ft away from the stage. Tired of not being able to hear, dude just started playing music on his guitar, WHAT?! You come to DC, March to the Capital, wait to listen to what they have to say, but instead of trying harder to hear, you begin your own show, WHAT?! Sorry to vent, but I was frustrated because I could hear, faintly, what was being said, but not over a guitar! Respect? All I could think was that if he people spoke English, I would have asked him what he was were doing. They come here and at a time to listen about potential change in their favor, they’re performing?! WHAT?! So then, is it my job, as a native born, Chinese-Polish American to speak Spanish to someone to ask him to have respect? Finally I just left the group and went closer, and could hear the very touching and difficult testimonies that were less typical than I would have imagined.


It was good to hear Nitia Velasquez and Luis Gutierrez talk about their positions on Immigration Reform…especially as we are hoping that the bill will soon be proposed. The day was, afterall, a success. Something had to happen, and I do genuinely hope that they rally stressed, more than the need for support, the urgency of proposing and passing reform!

No comments:

Post a Comment