Monday, October 11, 2010

NO FEAR

NO FEAR

2 Tim 1:7
"For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control."

I had the awesome blessing of being able to visit my uncle on Saturday afternoon. I hadn't seen him since the month before I came to Cabrini, August 2009. In January of this year, he was diagnosed with cancer. Since then, he's been making trips back and forth with my aunt to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America, Philly location. Last year when I was in and out of Philly, I had always been in town for business, and it just kept not working out...at least on my end, to see him. BUT....I spent last week in Philadelphia staying at the college to do some testing and to be with Gina at the office.

I was talking to my mom and we agreed that it was too important for me to see him (her brother), so instead of spending time with a couple of the sisters (though I hope they understand) I stayed with on Friday night, on Satruday I went to the cancer center. This time, about two and a half months ago, my uncle came with my aunt and my cousin, so I was able to see all three of them!

My aunt came in a car from the center to pick me up, which was so wonderful because I've never had a car while in Philly...and it was a limo! I know...rough life, huh? The sisters took me out and met her, which for me was VERY special. My sisters have both come to NY, but up until now, nobody else has had the chance to meet them! "You're meeting them before my mom!" I shared. Either way, the next stop was my uncle! :) I had just been in a conversation the night before about godparents, and I was particularly excited to have the chance to visit with my godfather!

Along the way, I had the opportunity to share with my aunt, who thankfully is close to my mother, about my summer away and about my recent discernment of religious life. I hope that she appreciated that conversation as much as I did, because I think that's one of the first times that I've been able to have such an adult conversation and actually have time to talk to her! A lot of our gatherings are around holiday times, and as I usually spend more time with my cousins, it was really beautiful, I think, to share a little bit of where I am with her! :)

Arriving to the center I dropped off my bags in the luggage room, and headed up to see him! Awwww, I love that! He reminds me so much of my mom...I'm just like, "Stop!" Their humor is EXACTLY the same, it kind of cool...and, of course, funny :) I got to talk to them more about the current status of my time and experience with the sisters, again, something beautiful to share with them. After a bit, we went down for lunch and all sat outside, and when I paid close attention to my uncles shirt I read the verse at the beginning of this entry!

NO FEAR. One of the patients of the clinic had shirts made like that, I believe for himself and his wife? Either way, he had the shirt on, and everyone really liked it, so now they print them, and when he comes for treatment, it's a way from them to share Scripture and God with the patients! That's AWESOME!

Even more AWESOME, is that the sisters use that same verse from a different version of the Bible, reading:
2 Tim 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but rather of power and love and self-control." Sr. Patricia just used it in her talk in the college on Thursday!! :) YES!! I love when we have things in common!!

So...no fear. I found out when I was visiting my uncle, who has been living out the line from Scripture, that my uncle is now CANCER FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks be to God for that!!!!!!! I am just so grateful that he's gotten the treatment and the quality care that he has needed along the way! He still has a little longer to be at the center, but I HOPE that he's not there the next time that I go to Philadelphia!

I LOVED seeing him, and it was so great to visit with them! Me from Wisonsin, and them from Virginia, our family gatherings have always been too few and far between! I pray that my uncle is still doing well, and in thanksgiving both for a great visit and the success of his treatment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment