Saturday, September 11, 2010

Summer Away...Part II

The DR (August 6-August 19)
The DR was NOTHING less than what I expected! If anything, the people were more welcoming, more loving, and more faith-filled. I stayed a night in Santo Domingo with a friend from Elias Piña before heading out there the next day on a bus.

We arrived the next evening in Comendador, a town in that province at about 7pm. I RAN down the cobblestones to Miguelina’s house to drop of my bags at their house in one of the closer neighborhoods outside of the center of the town, and I ran into town to find Julie! She left WI ahead of me to have more time in the DR, so I met her there! It was so great to see her after a few months!

Looking back, there is something really surreal about that time in Elias Piña. After the dramatic month-long experience in Ecuador, the week and a half (after travel), FLEW by. The daily routine, if there were one, involved me sleeping while Julie went for a run. We would have breakfast together, and often separate. Julie has a lot of personal friends in from the month she spent there last year.



I spent most of my time getting the insight and wisdom of Miguelina. We met Miguelina, when we went in 2008, as the morning worker at the bakery. In the last days that we were there, Miguelina offered us some of the most heartwarming hospitality. That standard she set has since gone unchanged. She welcomed both Julie and me into her house with open arms as a mother. Treated as daughters and sisters by Miguelina’s husband and sons, we felt right at home!



I had the opportunity to fall in love with their neighbors that Julie met last summer. The children are so affectionate and loving. The adolescents of the parish, eager to include us in going to mass, spending time at one another’s homes, and of course – dancing! I wish that I could explain the purity of being in a place where the value of relationship with God and others is lived out everywhere! The graces were unlimited and offered all day!

It’s funny the way that I don’t have a lot to say….it’s like when you talk about your home versus a new place that you’ve never been before. Elias Piña is just….home. I had many pictures to share of time in the campo, playing uno with the kids, having a feast day celebration at our home for the Blessed Virgin. Unfortunately, my pictures were deleted, but there are some that was able to get before leaving!

One there are two more important people that I didn’t mention yet! Lizbeth is my little friend…which is only partly true because she’s getting so old! I cried leaving in 2008 after knowing her for all of 10 DAYS! Her houses is one that I could just find returning because I follow my heart. She is such a special girl! Her biggest upset is always that I haven’t come to stay at her house!

Lizbeth 2008!


Lizbeth 2009!


Lizbeth 2010!


The last but NOT LEAST – Elvira!
2008...


2010!



She has been most like my mother ever since I met her. She has the incredible rough exterior, with reason, but once you express a mutual care, she is so tender and caring. She always wanted me to come to her house, meet her children, etc. I spent more time there this visit than I ever had, and had plenty of time to spend with my girl Carolina (her granddaughter)! When I went to Comendador the first time, I literally wanted to bring her home with me. TOO CUTE. Ahora esa mujer no es facil! She is one of the most difficult little girls have ever known…quite the attitude, but my love for her…greater than ever. In this visit, she told me, “Te quiero.” AWWWW I love her too! And she would yell for me, “Tia María.” What an honor to be called Aunt Mary by beautiful Dominican child!!

Carola 2008…


Carola 2010!


She was probably one of the hardest people to leave, the family, nearly impossible. I’m like crying as I type this. Is it possible to feel so much a part of a family, whose acquaintance has grown to love in only a few weeks combined!? These people are my family.

The blessing of being in the Dominican Republic did end at being welcomed again to Comendador, but had the finale in Santiago. A couple days before I left, I took a bus from Santo Domingo to Santiago to visit my sponsor child, María. She is so beautiful, and the spitting image of my personality at age 11. She is so shy, which I can appreciate probably more than any other adult. I understood every action, every ‘verguenza.’ On top of us both being introverted and her shyness, we had two of the program’s staff, as well as the taxi driver and all of her family watch our interaction… I don’t blame her for being embarrassed!

In April when I started to sponsor María, I had already booked a ticket to go to the DR, so the visit came on the very early side of the sponsorship. She and I hadn’t even had letters exchanged before she knew that I was going to her house! Though the visit was a little premature, it was so beautiful. I got so see mi hayjada! Seeing her and meeting her family gave me a lot of peace around the sponsorship. The visit, of course, is very ‘monitored,’ so I need to trust that she’s really getting all that she needs.

I think that the visit was good for two other reasons, the first is that they had a chance to see who I am instead of what I am, a sponsor. She learned that I am a young adult and a missionary! I know that they tend to thing of sponsors as having a lot of ‘extra’…so it also gave me peace for her to know that I am really giving her all that I can…She also learned that I was just like her when I was young ;) I told her I NEVER talked, so I just kept assuring her that I didn’t expect her to be talking a lot!

The other grace was that they know how near and dear their country is to my heart. That I don’t see my life in the US as better than theirs, in fact, that desire their lifestyle! It was a good perspective for them to see and value their own culture a little more, knowing how desirable it is!

The conversation…was a little forced. Ten people in a room that don’t know each other, a recipe for awkwardness, no? Haha, maybe just for me, but either way, I brought UNO! Thanks to Julie for the idea, I was able to take time to teach María and her family how to play! Before the game was done, a staff person was playing, a few members of María’s family, María, even the taxi driver, and all of the neighbors were looking in to see how to play! It was fun!! By the end, I could feel and see in Marías eyes, which are GORGEOUS, that she was a little more comfortable, and I started to see that smile coming out that made me fall in love with her from the beginning! When I had to leave, I made eye contact with her, and it was as if we had a quick little conversation…

Thanks you for coming.
Thank you for having me.
I’m really glad that you were able to come.
I’m sorry that it was so short, but KNOW that I care about you and pray for you!

There was a warmth, love and appreciation on both sides and I left, so grateful to have had the chance to meet her. She knew that I wouldn’t know when I’d ever be able to afford to come back, but that it was special that I was able to come at all. So many sponsors, even with money, never have a chance or take the time to visit their children. God was so present in the sponsorship and visit! Thanks be to God for that! I hope that there is some way to show just how beautiful this 11-year old is!

Leaving only the Dominican Republic, Stop #2, was hard...it always is, but there's a sense of peace I have in knowing that as lost as "Dios quiere." There will be a time when I will see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment